Monday, March 12

i had a bonus, but i spent it

One pink sewing machine, two pink sewing machines.
I'm lucky enough to work for a company where I get a bonus. At the beginning of the fiscal year, company goals are determined and metrics are clearly laid out. If it has been a good year, and conveniently before the RRSP deadline, we receive this bonus (if any). Because I continue pretending to be a "responsible and productive" member of society, so I forward a portion of it to my retirement savings. The rest, I spend.

I don't readily have a lump of spending money at any given time. Akin to an excited, hungry dog staring into a deli, I salivate at all the possibilities...and also the bacon. I can spend it on responsible things (that word again...ugh), or I can spend it on things that will make me happy. This year's bonus was good, and these are what I bought:


Young Driver's Novice Plus Course
You read that right! I am 27 years old and I do not have my driver's license. I've always perceived it as a want, not a need. I've always put it off because of the cost. If you've had your license for a while, I suggest you look up the price of lessons nowadays. You'd be surprised. (Spoiler: It's about $1,500 CDN for a reputable school.) This year is the year I learn how to drive.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens
Remember my blog goals? One is to take better photos by taking more photos. It'll be a learning by experience approach. Basically, accuracy by volume. I splurged on this lens (which cost more than my camera body) and I'll try my best to get my money's worth. Look forward to many close-up photos, with bokeh everywhere!

Computer Upgrade
Long overdue desktop computer upgrade. Something something nerdy computer terminology I pretend to fully comprehend. I really just want to play Star Wars: The Old Republic. As well as do post-production on the photos I take with my camera, because you never know when you'll need more bokeh!
New computer parts. Look at that sexy heatsink.

Elna 2800 Sewing Machine
I am Jenn, starter of brilliant craft and sewing projects. Finisher of none. I have numerous quilt tops. I used the super awesome (and best birthday present ever) Kenmore/Janome Mini Ultra 3/4 Size Sewing Machine to piece everything. I've been saving up for a new full-sized sewing machine that I want to last forever. I wasn't in any rush so I waited for a good sale. Luckily, Spool of Thread had the answer! I now have an Elna 2800...which are made in the same factory and uses the same accessories as Janome machines! Also, it's pink!


What are some of your bonus money splurges?

2 comments:

  1. That is a super cute sewing machine :D I want to get my license this year too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Del! I thought you were going to driving school already?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...